- To extend on all sides of simultaneously; encircle. (verb-transitive)
- To enclose or confine on all sides so as to bar escape or outside communication. (verb-transitive)
- Something, such as fencing or a border, that surrounds: a fireplace surround. (noun)
- The area around a thing or place: inflammation extending to the surround of the eye. (noun)
- Surroundings; environment: "It was the country, the flat agricultural surround, that so ravished me” ( Listener). (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.