- A fine lustrous fiber composed mainly of fibroin and produced by certain insect larvae to form cocoons, especially the strong, elastic, fibrous secretion of silkworms used to make thread and fabric. (noun)
- Thread or fabric made from this fiber. (noun)
- A garment made from this fabric. (noun)
- The brightly colored identifying garments of a jockey or harness driver. (noun)
- A silky filamentous material, such as the webbing spun by certain spiders or the styles forming a tuft on an ear of corn. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.