- To constitute the distinction between: subspecies that are differentiated by the markings on their wings. (verb-transitive)
- To perceive or show the difference in or between; discriminate. (verb-transitive)
- To make different by alteration or modification. (verb-transitive)
- Mathematics To calculate the derivative or differential of (a function). (verb-transitive)
- To become distinct or specialized; acquire a different character. (verb-intransitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.