- The act of defending against attack, danger, or injury. (noun)
- A means or method of defending or protecting. (noun)
- Sports The act or an instance of defending a championship against a challenger: will box in his third defense of his title. (noun)
- An argument in support or justification of something. See Synonyms at apology. (noun)
- Law The action of the defendant in opposition to complaints against him or her. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.