- A portion of an employee's wages or salary withheld by the employer as partial payment of the employee's income tax. Also called withholding tax. (noun)
- To keep back; refrain from giving (verb)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- To hold back; restrain (verb)
- To deduct (taxes, etc) from a salary or wages (verb)
- To refrain or forbear (verb)
www.Collinsdictionary.com (c) HarperCollins Publishers Ltd 2016