- To turn or twist (wood, for example) out of shape. (verb-transitive)
- To turn from a correct or proper course; deflect. (verb-transitive)
- To affect unfavorably, unfairly, or wrongly; bias. See Synonyms at bias. (verb-transitive)
- To arrange (strands of yarn or thread) so that they run lengthwise in weaving. (verb-transitive)
- Nautical To move (a vessel) by hauling on a line that is fastened to or around a piling, anchor, or pier. (verb-transitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.