- A plane figure having four equal sides. (noun)
- Something having an equal-sided rectangular form: a square of cloth. (noun)
- A T-shaped or L-shaped instrument for drawing or testing right angles. (noun)
- Mathematics The product obtained when a number or quantity is multiplied by itself: 49 is the square of 7. (noun)
- Games Any of the quadrilateral spaces on a board, as in chess. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.