- Small loose grains of worn or disintegrated rock. (noun)
- Geology A sedimentary material, finer than a granule and coarser than silt, with grains between 0.06 and 2.0 millimeters in diameter. (noun)
- A tract of land covered with sand, as a beach or desert. Often used in the plural. (noun)
- The loose, granular, gritty particles in an hourglass. (noun)
- Moments of allotted time or duration: "The sands are numb'red that makes up my life” ( Shakespeare). (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.