- One to whom something is referred, especially for settlement, decision, or an opinion as to the thing's quality. (noun)
- Sports &amp; Games An official supervising the play; an umpire. (noun)
- Law A person appointed by a court to make a determination of a case or to investigate and make a report on it. See Synonyms at judge. (noun)
- To judge as referee. (verb-transitive)
- To act as referee. (verb-intransitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.