- A person who speaks by divine inspiration or as the interpreter through whom the will of a god is expressed. (noun)
- A person gifted with profound moral insight and exceptional powers of expression. (noun)
- A predictor; a soothsayer. (noun)
- The chief spokesperson of a movement or cause. (noun)
- The second of the three divisions of the Hebrew Scriptures, comprising the books of Joshua, Judges, Samuel, Kings, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, and the Twelve. Used with the. See Table at Bible. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.