- To leave behind; outrun. (verb-transitive)
- To exceed or surpass: "Material development outstripped human development” ( Edith Hamilton). See Synonyms at excel. (verb-transitive)
- To surpass in a sphere of activity, competition, etc (verb)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- To be or grow greater than (verb)
- To go faster than and leave behind (verb)
www.Collinsdictionary.com (c) HarperCollins Publishers Ltd 2016