- An excavation in the earth from which ore or minerals can be extracted. (noun)
- The site of such an excavation, with its surface buildings, elevator shafts, and equipment. (noun)
- A deposit of ore or minerals in the earth or on its surface. (noun)
- An abundant supply or source of something valuable: This guidebook is a mine of information. (noun)
- A tunnel dug under an enemy emplacement to destroy it by explosives, cause it to collapse, or gain access to it for an attack. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.