- A fastening, as for a door or gate, typically consisting of a bar that fits into a notch or slot and is lifted from either side by a lever or string. (noun)
- A spring lock, as for a door, that is opened from the outside by a key. (noun)
- To close or lock with or as if with a latch. (verb-transitive)
- To have or be closed with a latch. (verb-intransitive)
- To shut tightly so that the latch is engaged: a door too warped to latch. (verb-intransitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.