- One who is incapacitated by a chronic illness or disability. (noun)
- Incapacitated by illness or injury. (adjective)
- Of, relating to, or intended for invalids. (adjective)
- To incapacitate physically. (verb-transitive)
- Chiefly British To release or exempt from duty because of ill health: "I was not quite sick enough to be invalided out, even though I was of no more use” ( Mary Lee Settle). (verb-transitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.