Definition of "impact" [im•pact]
- (noun) The striking of one body against another; collision. See Synonyms at collision.
- (noun) The force or impetus transmitted by a collision.
- (noun) The effect or impression of one thing on another: still gauging the impact of automation on the lives of factory workers.
- (noun) The power of making a strong, immediate impression: a speech that lacked impact.
- (verb-transitive) To pack firmly together.
Use "impact" in a sentence
- "A number of studies on the social impact of the Tangaye project were undertaken by Roberts. 3 These studies examined the impact of mechanising arduous, time-consuming village tasks on the life of women, with the power source viewed as a black-box. 4 They were studies of the effects of pumped water supply and a power-operated grain mill in a remote village."
- "I define and use the term impact indicators as those issues that directly affect positively or negatively food security such as population, water, land, and economic growth/development."
- "Mr. Roberts said the company can better absorb the margin impact from the deal now that costs are lowered."