- Not employed or busy: idle carpenters. See Synonyms at inactive. (adjective)
- Avoiding work or employment; lazy: shiftless, idle youth. See Synonyms at lazy. (adjective)
- Not in use or operation: idle hands. (adjective)
- Lacking substance, value, or basis. See Synonyms at baseless, vain. (adjective)
- To pass time without working or while avoiding work. (verb-intransitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.