- Used to refer to the man or boy previously mentioned or implied. (pronoun)
- Used to refer to a male animal. (pronoun)
- Usage Problem Used to refer to a person whose gender is unspecified or unknown: "He who desires but acts not, breeds pestilence” ( William Blake). (pronoun)
- A male person or animal: Is the cat a he? (noun)
- The fifth letter of the Hebrew alphabet. See Table at alphabet. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.