- To protect from harm by or as if by watching over: guard a bank; guarding the President. See Synonyms at defend. (verb-transitive)
- To watch over so as to prevent escape or violence: guarded the prisoner. (verb-transitive)
- Sports To keep (an opposing player) from scoring or playing efficiently. (verb-transitive)
- To maintain control over, as to prevent indiscretion: Guard what you say. (verb-transitive)
- To supervise entry or exit through; keep watch at: guarded the door. (verb-transitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.