- To refrain from; resist: forbear replying. See Synonyms at refrain1. (verb-transitive)
- To desist from; cease. (verb-transitive)
- Obsolete To avoid or shun. (verb-transitive)
- To hold back; refrain. (verb-intransitive)
- To be tolerant or patient in the face of provocation. (verb-intransitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.