- Informal A police officer. (noun)
- Informal One that regulates certain behaviors or actions: "Faced with the world recession of the early 1980s, ... the World Bank ... became a stern economic taskmaster and cop” ( Richard J. Barnet). (noun)
- To take unlawfully or without permission; steal. See Synonyms at steal. (verb-transitive)
- To get hold of; gain or win: a show that copped four awards; copped a ticket to the game. (verb-transitive)
- To take or catch: "copped a quick look at the gentleman in a caramel cashmere sport coat on the right” ( Gail Sheehy). (verb-transitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.