- To engage in a spoken exchange of thoughts, ideas, or feelings; talk. See Synonyms at speak. (verb-intransitive)
- Archaic To be familiar; associate. (verb-intransitive)
- Spoken interchange of thoughts and feelings; conversation. (noun)
- Obsolete Social interaction. (noun)
- Reversed, as in position, order, or action; contrary. (adjective)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.