- To grasp and hold tightly. (verb-transitive)
- To seize; snatch. (verb-transitive)
- To attempt to grasp or seize: clutch at a life raft. (verb-intransitive)
- To engage or disengage a motor vehicle's clutch. (verb-intransitive)
- A hand, claw, talon, or paw in the act of grasping. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.