- On the contrary: the plan caused not prosperity but ruin. (conjunction)
- Contrary to expectation; yet: She organized her work but accomplished very little. He is tired but happy. (conjunction)
- Usage Problem Used to indicate an exception: No one but she saw the prowler. (conjunction)
- With the exception that; except that. Often used with that: would have joined the band but he couldn't spare the time; would have resisted but that they lacked courage. (conjunction)
- Informal Without the result that: It never rains but it pours. (conjunction)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.