- To make (ale or beer) from malt and hops by infusion, boiling, and fermentation. (verb-transitive)
- To make (a beverage) by boiling, steeping, or mixing various ingredients: brew tea. (verb-transitive)
- To concoct; devise: brew a plot to overthrow the government. (verb-transitive)
- To make ale or beer as an occupation. (verb-intransitive)
- To be made by boiling or steeping: As the coffee brewed, I paced in the kitchen. (verb-intransitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.