- Something, such as a fetter, cord, or band, that binds, ties, or fastens things together. (noun)
- Confinement in prison; captivity. Often used in the plural. (noun)
- A uniting force or tie; a link: the familial bond. (noun)
- A binding agreement; a covenant. (noun)
- A duty, promise, or other obligation by which one is bound. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.