- Any of several North American freshwater fishes of the family Centrarchidae, related to but larger than the sunfishes. (noun)
- Any of various marine fishes of the family Serranidae, such as the sea bass and the striped bass. (noun)
- A low-pitched sound or tone. (noun)
- The tones in the lowest register of an instrument. (noun)
- A male singing voice of the lowest range. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.