- A violent physical or verbal attack. (noun)
- A military attack, such as one launched against a fortified area or place. (noun)
- The concluding stage of an attack in which close combat occurs with the enemy. (noun)
- Law An unlawful threat or attempt to do bodily injury to another. (noun)
- Law The act or an instance of unlawfully threatening or attempting to injure another. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.