- To combine (a column of figures, for example) to form a sum. (verb-transitive)
- To join or unite so as to increase in size, quantity, quality, or scope: added 12 inches to the deck; flowers that added beauty to the dinner table. (verb-transitive)
- To say or write further. (verb-transitive)
- To find a sum in arithmetic. (verb-intransitive)
- To constitute an addition: an exploit that will add to her reputation. (verb-intransitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.