Definition of "yager" [ya•ger]
- (noun) A heavy, muzzle-loading hunting rifle
- (noun) A Jäger, an elite soldier of the Austrian army
Use "yager" in a sentence
- "Hans carried a light fowling-piece, while Hendrik's gun was a stout rifle of the kind known as a "yager" -- an excellent gun for large game."
- "And before us fled Indian and Tory, yager and renegade, Greens, Rangers, Highlanders, officers galloping madly, baggage-wagons smashed, horses down, camp trampled to tatters and splinters as the vengeance of Tryon County passed in a tornado of fury that cleansed the land forever of Walter Butler and his demons of the"
- "The young man had an idea that as soon as he became a little taller and could take down the heavy gun, an old "United States yager" with a big bore, bloodshed would follow in great quantities."