Definition of "vacation" [va•ca•tion]
- (noun) A period of time devoted to pleasure, rest, or relaxation, especially one with pay granted to an employee.
- (noun) A holiday.
- (noun) A fixed period of holidays, especially one during which a school, court, or business suspends activities.
- (noun) Archaic The act or an instance of vacating.
- (verb-intransitive) To take or spend a vacation.
- (noun) a period of the year when the law courts or universities are closed
- (noun) a period in which a break is taken from work or studies for rest, travel, or recreation
- (noun) the act of departing from or abandoning property, etc
- (verb) to take a vacation; holiday
Use "vacation" in a sentence
- "A great outdoor enthusiast, John believes that the word vacation is synonymous with white-water rafting and long, arduous hikes in the woods."
- "Get could pictures and see the sights while your there, I hope you enjoyed your vacation is the not sure a arrogant pompous idiot will find humble Ohio a place to return to. whaley41"
- "I wish I could go, but my vacation is already taken up by other upcoming trips."