- A costume party at which masks are worn; a masked ball. Also called masque. (noun)
- A costume for such a party or ball. (noun)
- A disguise or false outward show; a pretense: a masquerade of humility. (noun)
- An involved scheme; a charade. (noun)
- To wear a mask or disguise, as at a masquerade: She masqueraded as a shepherd. (verb-intransitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.