Definition of "labellum" [‖La•bel•lum]
- (noun) The often enlarged petal of an orchid flower.
- (noun) A liplike part, such as the tip of the proboscis of various insects, used for lapping up liquids.
Use "labellum" in a sentence
- "Today's words Word don't know: Today I learned that the plural of labellum is labellums."
- "This experiment let them show that the protein was made in the fly's major taste organ (called the labellum) and trace its manufacture to a subset of sensory cells that respond to noxious chemicals."
- "Does it not imply that all that part of the labellum which is supplied by vessels coming from a lateral bundle must be part of a primordially distinct organ, however closely the two may have become united?"