Definition of "gabbro" [gab•bro]
- (noun) A usually coarse-grained igneous rock composed chiefly of calcic plagioclase and pyroxene. Also called norite.
- (noun) a dark coarse-grained basic plutonic igneous rock consisting of plagioclase feldspar, pyroxene, and often olivine
Use "gabbro" in a sentence
- "As to the speed of cutting, in the experiment quoted a bit of rather friable "gabbro," measuring three-quarters of an inch on the face by five-eighths of an inch thick, was cut clean through in six minutes, or by 3000 turns of the wheel."
- "To illustrate the operations, I will describe a specific case, viz. that of grinding the section of "gabbro"'above described, for microscopical purposes."
- "Like labradorite and anorthite, it is a common constituent of basic igneous rocks, such as gabbro and basalt."