- Architecture The section of a pedestal between base and surbase. (noun)
- The lower portion of the wall of a room, decorated differently from the upper section, as with panels. (noun)
- A rectangular groove cut into a board so that a like piece may be fitted into it. (noun)
- The groove so cut. (noun)
- To furnish with a dado. (verb-transitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.