Definition of "aardvark" [aard•vark]
- (noun) A burrowing mammal (Orycteropus afer) of southern Africa, having a stocky, hairy body, large ears, a long tubular snout, and powerful digging claws.
- (noun) a nocturnal mammal, Orycteropus afer, the sole member of its family (Orycteropodidae) and order (Tubulidentata). It inhabits the grasslands of Africa, has long ears and snout, and feeds on termites
Use "aardvark" in a sentence
- "Look, anyone older than eight who admits to an affection for an animated aardvark is one cool kid."
- "I think the aardvark is pretty much on target: Sunstein chooses to use the phrase to represent a collection of ideas that are being discussed by conservatives, not that they actually use it themselves."
- "When the Boers first saw a strange animal in South Africa, they called it aardvark, a Dutch word for ` earth pig. '"