- At or in what place: Where is the telephone? (adverb)
- In what situation or position: Where would we be without your help? (adverb)
- From what place or source: Where did you get this idea? (adverb)
- To what place; toward what end: Where is this argument leading? (adverb)
- At what or which place: She moved to the city, where jobs are available. (conjunction)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.