- A plant cultivated for an edible part, such as the root of the beet, the leaf of spinach, or the flower buds of broccoli or cauliflower. (noun)
- The edible part of such a plant. (noun)
- A member of the vegetable kingdom; a plant. (noun)
- Offensive Slang One who is severely impaired mentally and physically, as by brain injury or disease. (noun)
- One who is regarded as dull, passive, or unresponsive. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.