- The quality or condition of being various or varied; diversity. (noun)
- A number or collection of varied things, especially of a particular group; an assortment: brought home a variety of snacks. (noun)
- A group that is distinguished from other groups by a specific characteristic or set of characteristics. (noun)
- Biology A taxonomic subdivision of a species consisting of naturally occurring or selectively bred populations or individuals that differ from the remainder of the species in certain minor characteristics. (noun)
- Biology An organism, especially a plant, belonging to such a subdivision. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.