- Not yielding the desired outcome; fruitless: a vain attempt. (adjective)
- Lacking substance or worth: vain talk. (adjective)
- Excessively proud of one's appearance or accomplishments; conceited. (adjective)
- Archaic Foolish. (adjective)
- In vain To no avail; without success: Our labor was in vain. (idiom)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.