- The condition of being vacant or unoccupied. (noun)
- An empty or unoccupied space. (noun)
- A position, office, or place of accommodation that is unfilled or unoccupied. (noun)
- Emptiness of mind; inanity. (noun)
- A crystal defect caused by the absence of an atom, ion, or molecule in a crystal lattice. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.