- A passage for drawing up smoke or air. (noun)
- Understanding; comprehension: very quick on the uptake. (noun)
- An act of taking in or absorbing, especially into a living organism. (noun)
- A pipe, shaft, etc, that is used to convey smoke or gases, esp one that connects a furnace to a chimney (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Taking up or lifting up (noun)
- The act of accepting or taking up something on offer or available (noun)
www.Collinsdictionary.com (c) HarperCollins Publishers Ltd 2016