- Great physical pain or mental anguish. (noun)
- A source of harassment, annoyance, or pain. (noun)
- The torture inflicted on prisoners under interrogation. (noun)
- To cause to undergo great physical pain or mental anguish. See Synonyms at afflict. (verb-transitive)
- To agitate or upset greatly. (verb-transitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.