- A shade of a color, especially a pale or delicate variation. (noun)
- A gradation of a color made by adding white to it to lessen its saturation. (noun)
- A slight coloration; a tinge. (noun)
- A barely detectable amount or degree; a trace. (noun)
- A shaded effect in engraving produced by fine, close, parallel lines. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.