- To prevent the occurrence, realization, or attainment of: They thwarted her plans. (verb-transitive)
- To oppose and defeat the efforts, plans, or ambitions of. (verb-transitive)
- Nautical A seat across a boat on which a rower may sit. (noun)
- Extending, lying, or passing across; transverse. (adjective)
- Eager to oppose, especially wrongly; perverse. (adjective)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.