- The act or process of stretching something tight. (noun)
- The condition of so being stretched; tautness. (noun)
- A force tending to stretch or elongate something. (noun)
- A measure of such a force: a tension on the cable of 50 pounds. (noun)
- Mental, emotional, or nervous strain: working under great tension to make a deadline. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.