- An instrument that converts voice and other sound signals into a form that can be transmitted to remote locations and that receives and reconverts waves into sound signals. (noun)
- To speak with (a person) by telephone. (verb-transitive)
- To initiate or make a telephone connection with; place a call to. (verb-transitive)
- To transmit (a message, for example) by telephone. (verb-transitive)
- To engage in communication by telephone. (verb-intransitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.