- A signal sounded on a drum or bugle to summon soldiers or sailors to their quarters at night. (noun)
- A display of military exercises offered as evening entertainment. (noun)
- A continuous, even drumming or rapping. (noun)
- To beat out an even rhythm, as with the fingers. (verb-intransitive)
- To beat or tap rhythmically on; rap or drum on. (verb-transitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.