- The section of the vertebrate foot between the leg and the metatarsus. (noun)
- The bones making up this section, especially the seven small bones of the human ankle. (noun)
- A fibrous plate that supports and shapes the edge of the eyelid. Also called tarsal plate. (noun)
- Zoology The tarsometatarsus. (noun)
- Zoology The distal part of the leg of an arthropod, usually divided into segments. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.