- To convert (hide) into leather, as by treating with tannin. (verb-transitive)
- To make brown by exposure to the sun. (verb-transitive)
- Informal To thrash; beat. (verb-transitive)
- To become brown or tawny from exposure to sun. (verb-intransitive)
- A light or moderate yellowish brown to brownish orange. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.