- Relating to, involving, or of the nature of synthesis. (adjective)
- Chemistry Produced by synthesis, especially not of natural origin. (adjective)
- Not natural or genuine; artificial or contrived: "counterfeit rhetoric that flourishes when passions are synthetic” ( George F. Will). (adjective)
- Prepared or made artificially: synthetic leather. See Synonyms at artificial. (adjective)
- Linguistics Relating to or being a language, such as Latin or Russian, that uses inflectional affixes to express syntactic relationships. (adjective)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.